Monday, December 1, 2008

Sonnet 2823 Dodson




We moved in March of 1998,
Soon we added labs, Sampson and Sophie
Next came Scout and last was Murphy and Pix.
Christmas has been a treasure for 10 years.
Decking the halls with plenty of bright lights,
Countless presents and treasured Christmas days.
Full to the brim of 1,400 feet.
What I will miss most is the time I spent
cleaning the house in just two hours.
The best times were the ones bringing home babies;
Bennett came home on 4-6-00
Addison came home on 12-6-01
Bryant came home on 9-2-05
I am thankful, God blessed me with this home.









My students have to write a Shakespearean Sonnet during the Renaissance unit which I typically teach in November. I told them this year I would write one along with them. They are so fun to write you should try it. It is like math and creativity joining up. You have to have 10 syllables or iambic pentameter if you remember that stuff from high school. And a sonnet can't be any other length except 14 lines. You should write one for the holidays and give to someone you love. It is such an old art form, but I love it.



3 comments:

Ami said...

I know exactly how you feel. Dan and I have been in our house now for almost 8 years and we're hoping to move sometime after the first of the year. It's breaking my heart daily to think of leaving our home. I loved your sonnet.

Sisters said...

How sweet. I miss cleaning my house in a record amount of time also. It is something I never thought about until I cleaned the new one. It made me mourn a wee bit!
AJL

Beth Ann said...

You inspired me--maybe a sonnet will be written by me this year my friend! :-) You gotta love iambic pentameter!