Saturday, January 19, 2008

it is the little things


I have a hard time finding balance around my house. Do I make sure the house is clean and then squeeze in time to play with the kiddoes, or do I say, "Forget about the piles of laundry, dishes, mail," your kids are only little for such a short time. I would love to say that I do the latter, but it seems like when I don't clean up first, I don't enjoy the time with the kids because I'm fretting over the mess. I never have time during the week, to simply enjoy them. We are ever so busy with work, swimming, gymnastics, church that I'm desperate for times just with the five of us. I guess I should be thankful for my 1,500 square foot house that it takes only half of my Saturday to pick up. When or if we ever move, I doubt I will be able to clean the mess as quick as I can now. But, by the time I get the house clean, the groceries bought, my Saturday is spent. That makes me sad. Being a mom is so hard in many ways. But the most difficult for me is to remember the little things can make a mark on life far more than we think. Those little things like painting my six year old's fingernails, or crashing cars with the two year old, or listening to some new game my seven year old would like to beat on PSII---that's what I should be consumed with. But acknowledging it and actually dedicating Saturday's to the kids and not the house is very difficult for me. Doug is my hero. He is constantly playing with the kids, whatever they want to do, he does it__except painting the fingernails__Why can't mom's play that role that the dad's so greatly fulfill?

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Leigh Ann, I completely understand! Chuck and I are trying to find a way to balance it to where we aren't doing it all on the weekend....

amy said...

you are so right! i definately set out to spend the entire day, any day, with my kids and still end up looking around and seeing something else to do. and then craig can come home from a full day at work and let it all go to play with them. it's that whole mary/martha thing again that i struggle with. i guess all we can do is carve out enough time to spend and make it quality, then tackle the laundry, etc. later. yep. easier said than done. hang in there!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to balance it all! I've felt Schäfer's first year pass by so quickly. I hope that I'll always chose him over dishes, but sometimes we do need something clean to eat on!