Thursday, October 25, 2007

Homecoming








One of my students from El Salvador asked me yesterday, "What is the meaning of Homecoming?" So, I sat there for a minute and said, well, to be perfectly honest 15 years ago it was about wearing a big, big mum on your shoulder with ribbons hanging from it that could nearly reach your knees, getting all dressed up and going to a dance after a specific October Friday night football game. I suddenly realized that in 2007, there are no more real celebrations of this event. Yes, we have a pep rally and the students get to decorate cars and participate in a car parade, but the meaning of coming home has changed in the last ten years. I could be sad and think about how great my homecomings were and complain about the lack of spirit these days, but these kids need to be taught that they can create new ways to celebrate school events. After all I am a teacher. I think too much of the time, with all the nat'l and state mandates teachers and adminstrators have been stripped of the "life teaching" that we all enjoy so much. Instead of creating new tradtitions and celebrating homecoming, we are pushing standards and proficiencies. My students are smarter because of No child left behind and all that is expected--hands down, they are smarter. But the other side to an education is that of a teenager finding out who they are and what they believe in. This school supports that area, but our focus the last few years has been to improve their learning....... so for my senior who asked me the meaning of homecoming, you have to define that one for yourself, until we can begin again teaching and creating traditions. Go Bears!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amy said...

hey, hey, hey! easy on the 15 years ago! it was longer than that. i never wore a mum! =) homecoming just ain't what it used to be, is it? glad to see the "parade" is still in action, though mr. hon isn't in it! good times...

Sisters said...

A car Parade aroudn the track? You have got to be kidding! Boy, it has changed int the past 11 years for sure. So funny that you typed this because last night my hubby and I were discussing the mum and how my Mama always had a huge mum with '67 on it with streamers with our names, etc. She wore one until I graduated in 1996. So sad how 11 years has changed us. I want to be able to wear a mum and be cool...don't you?!